Last year I made a post on one of my other blogs about the extremely annoying problem with the employer links in Facebook personal profiles. If you are not aware of this issue, there is a good chance that the links to your employer in your personal profile are not correct.
The “Employer” section of Facebook personal profiles was designed to allow linking to existing Facebook pages thus allowing you to link to your employer’s Facebook page. If your employer does not have a page on Facebook, the system sets up a Facebook community page using the employer name you entered. The problem was that even when there was an existing Facebook page of that name, Facebook was setting up another blank community page and linking to that instead. This would often go completely unnoticed.
My previous post outlined a semi-complicated work-around to fix this issue, and it was quite successful. Since that time however, Facebook has made many necessary adjustments to improve this issue and improve the matching of names to pages. That being said, there is still some quirky behavior of this feature and I still notice the vast majority of people are completely unaware that this was ever a problem and are linking to blank community pages instead of the page of their employer. Often that employer is their very own business.
Here are the steps to ensure you are correctly linking to your employer’s or the desired Facebook page…
- Log into Facebook and locate the correct page for the “employer” you wish to link to.
- Note the EXACT page name of your employer’s page (the page name will appear at the top where the “like” button displays). For example: If you type “logicblogger” into the Facebook search bar, you will see the “LogicBlogger” page. Visit the page and the title is “LogicBlogger”, not “Logic Blogger” or “logic blogger”.
- Once you have the EXACT page name and have “liked” the page you are planning to add, visit your Facebook profile and click the “Edit Profile” button in the top right corner.
- In the left side menu, click “Education and Work”. In the “Employer” field, start typing the EXACT page name you wish to link to and you should see selections begin to display. If you see the correct page, you can select it. If you don’t see the correct page in the selection box, try clearing the box completely, typing in the “@” symbol, then begin typing in the page name exactly as it is in Facebook. Once you see the correct page, select it. If you still don’t see the correct page, follow the further instructions below.
- That should do it! Keep in mind that on your main profile page, Facebook will only display the most current Employer entered, so if you have more than one, be sure to enter the one you want displayed on your main profile page last.
Now… For those that the above instructions were not successful and who did not see the correct Facebook page in the Employer list at all, here is the workaround (with a few updates and modifications).
Using Firefox or Google Chrome, download and install the Web Developer add-on. Once you have installed the add-on and restarted your browser, follow these simple steps…
- Go to the Facebook page you are wanting to link to. In your browser’s address bar, the URL should have a unique string of numbers at the very end that identifies the page, after the last forward slash (“/”). Copy that number. If there is no number or the page is using a vanity URL like “http://www.facebook.com/installlogic”, you can get the number by simply clicking on the page’s logo graphic and looking at the URL in your browser’s address bar again. It will be something like “www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.182077751812132.45740.179870135366227&type=1″. The page id# you want is the last number set, “179870135366227”. Copy it and save it–we will need it in a minute.
- Go to your personal Facebook profile page, click the “Edit Profile” button in the top right corner, then click “Education and Work” in the left side menu and type in the name of the page you wish to link to. If it is still not there, just select any page that comes up and click the “enter” key.
- Now, find the new Web Developer add-on toolbar. In that toolbar, click “Forms” and then “Display Form Details”. You’re going to see a lot of strange looking code appear on the page. Don’t worry, we will make it all go away shortly. This is a function of the add-on and will allow us to access and change the info we need.
- In line with this newly added page name in the form field labeled, “input autocomplete=”off” name=”employer_id”, replace the page id# with the unique page id# you saved for the page you wish to link to.
- Go back into the Web Developer toolbar and turn off the “Display Form Details” option and Fill in the rest of the Employer form as normal (Position, Description, dates employed, etc.) and Click “Add Job”.
- Now you should see the correct page linked.
If you found this post helpful, please leave me a comment below and share this with your Facebook friends so we can do away with those terrible blank community pages. And if anyone figures out how to delete blank community pages, please share. Also, while we’re talking about Facebook, please click over to the InstallLogic Facebook page and give us a ‘Like’.